Epson and other printers commonly get a Not Recognised error. Follow this troubleshooting to find what's causing your error, getting you back up and printing in no time.
Fix #1: Check The Three Basics
There are three quick checks that account for nearly all 'Not Recognised' errors. They may seem trivial but check them just in case:
- Have you been using the cartridge for a while? Most compatibles say 'not recognised' when they are empty.
- Are you using the correct cartridges for your printer? The wrong ink will return an error.
- Is the cartridge in the correct slot? A black in a colour slot will say not recognised.
Even if you're 100% each of these points is correct, double check them. You'd be amazed how easily a simple mistake can creep in.
Fix #2: Check Which Cartridge Has The Issue
If your printer is only reporting one cartridge having the error, skip to fix #3.
If you've replaced more than one cartridge and are seeing errors across the whole set (even ones that were working previously) then it is just a fault with a single cartridge that is registering across every cartridge. Find out and fix the necessary cartridge by:
- Remove all of the new cartridges you had installed and re-install the old (empty) cartridges that worked
- Restart the printer, this should remove the not recognised error (and tell you some are empty)
- Install one of the new cartridges
- Keep installing the new cartridges one-by-one until the error returns. That is the cartridge to troubleshoot.
Fix #3: Clean The Contact Chip
Check the copper banding on each of the cartridges. This is their contact chip and what communicates with the printer. Give them each a gentle wipe with a cloth or pencil eraser to ensure they are clean and dust free.
Reinstall the cartridge to your machine and restart the printer, this should clear the error.
Fix #4: Do A Hard Reset
As strange as it sounds, errors can be "remembered" by the printer. Once you've cleaned the chip and reinstalled the cartridge turn the printer off at the plug, wait 30 seconds then turn it back on. Often you'll find the error has been cleared and you're free to print.
Still Getting The Not Recognised Error?
If you're still receiving an error it is likely your cartridge has a fault. Get in touch with your supplier to arrange a replacement item.