How to Turn Off iPhone 4 Email Notifications Jan 29, 2011 17:24 by John Sollars

Ever since I bought my iPhone it has driven me mad. At some ungodly hour every night it would wake me up with a vibrate and a ding just to let me know that I’ve received yet another spam email. Something had to be done.

So I started with the usual way I sort this kind of problem out, Google.

I searched for ‘iphone 4 disable email notifications’, ‘turn off email notifications iphone 4′ etc. I had no luck so I resorted in actually using my brain.

It actually turned out to be very simple, Yet maybe a little unintuitive of Apple (can i say that). I expected the option to be under Settings > Mail but it was actually under Settings > Sounds > New Mail [OFF]. Sounds obvious now :)

9 Comments

1. Andrew says:

Have the same problem with my new iPhone 3g – intuitively (! sorry Rob) went straight into SOUNDS. There is no on-off button but there is a tick box for ‘none’. Ticked this but still get audible alerts every time an e-mail hits my in box – REALLY annoying.

2. Rob says:

Many thanks! This has been driving me crazy too.

3. Julie says:

Finally! I found this post thru google – my new phone was driving me nuts with all the dinging!

4. Asif says:

One more question, my boss has activated his pushmail service is it necessary to put a passcode in order receive emails from Exchange server, may be a security reason. because during activation of pushmail he need to put a passcode and now he cannot disactive the passcode cause option is disabbled. any idea

5. Asif says:

Dear Stinkyink,

Thanks that was simple, greate.

Rgds, Asif

6. veronika says:

Thanks so much for the post. I can’t turn off my phone at night as I’m on call and these alerts were really annoying. You’re right about it being less than intuitive to have the turn off alerts button in the sounds area instead of the area dealing with the applications. So far my iphone does everything except make calls well…it drops out so frequently that I miss a phone that’s just a phone. Cheers :)

7. Alan says:

You could, of course, just turn it off when you go to bed?

8. Charge your phone! And set it to % Battery, so much easier to know when you’re about to disappear from the mobile world.